Thursday, March 8, 2012

University graduates in Police a disgrace to our society

The Mouthpiece — 07 July 2011


I have spent relatively some time without posting on my column and I recently found many messages in my inbox asking me as to why I have not been doing so. Many of you who have been my friend s on face book may wonder whether I am in a place where internet is inaccessible because I am sure you no longer meet me online or read my face book comments. The truth of the matter is that my face book account was blocked by people whose intentions I didn’t know. However, I have never stopped my struggle for human rights, social justice and real not imaginary liberation of our continent but most particularly our country Uganda. Those of you who could have read political science, philosophy, law or human rights must have read about the English philosopher known as Edmund Burke. Edmund Burke said,

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.



Our public assets have been raided left, right and centre sadly by the people who should be holding them in trust for all of us the citizens. Because of the constitutional viruses that Museveni and his ruling oligarchy have introduced in Uganda, I decided on Monday 27, June to launch my non-violent hunger strike from the constitutional square. For the benefit of those who don’t stay in Uganda, our constitutional square, a square from which ordinarily Ugandans should exercise their constitutional and God-given rights has been alienated and ring-fenced from the Ugandan citizens. I have so many times passed there and asked the Police as to why they guard the constitutional square from Ugandans and I have not been given a compelling argument. Sometimes, I have been told that terrorists from civil society organisations and the opposition parties intend to use the constitutional square to launch their terror attacks.

Sadly, on the lower side of the square, the commander for those guarding the constitutional square ASP Benon Byamukama is my friend and former classmate in the political science class at Makerere University but also a fellow elephant in the only surviving empire – the Lumbox empire. The person I first told that I was launching a civil protest from the constitutional square aimed at addressing not only the dearth but also the death of constitutionalism in this country is Vincent Ssekatte, my namesake but also my former classmate in the political science class in Makerere University . Mr. Ssekatte told me, “Nuwagaba, you have remained revolutionary when some of us have changed” he added, “I will be the one to shoot you should you demonstrate from the constitutional square”.

I have known Ssekatte’s name after he was appointed Deputy Public Relations Officer of the Uganda Police Force. Otherwise, I knew his face as a person who sat in the same lecture halls with me. For Ssekate, Byamukama, Azoora, Kabeera Sunday, Kituuma Rusoke (the IGP Personal Assistant), among others, I was their leader at the university in various categories. I was elected the secretary general for all the non-residents’ community when I was still a fresher because students knew I would ably defend their rights. At least, those who used to read the Daily Monitor know quite well how I decried the cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment students were subjected to. The government used to pay only Shillings 350 for a meal for each non-resident student. I consistently told Mr. Ekuddu that attending lectures on empty stomachs without taking breakfast was responsible for the students’ poor academic performance but nothing was done. I remember one day telling Mr Ekuddu that if he cannot prioritise students’ welfare, he should quit office. On 17th November 2003 when Nsibambi was installed as Makerere University Chancellor, Mr. Ekuddu was tied with a rope from the constitutional square.

I wish to warn the police that if they cannot protect my rights, let them refrain from interfering with my God-given rights.

“He who justifies the wicked, and he who condemns the just, both of them alike are an abomination to the LORD” (Proverbs 17:150)

The Bible again says Luke 12:48 that "To whom much is given; much is expected". Museveni and company have been given more than quarter a decade. Thus, we expect very much from Museveni. What we see instead is shillings 41,000 per student under USE; and shillings 1,600 under UPE. I have learnt that this a ploy to keep the majority Ugandans poor and as sure as day follows night, we shall reject that. We are all enjoined to fight for social justice in our society. Finally, Makerere University graduates in the police force who abet lawlessness are a disgrace and the university would do better withdrawing its degrees from them.

Vincent Nuwagaba is a human rights defender

No comments:

Post a Comment