Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The end of spiritual doom

Dear Ugandans and all members of the human family, I greet all of you in the name of our Lord God and his son Jesus Christ through whom we were supposed to be liberated from our sin of inheritance. I am with effect from today June 27, 2011 going to pitch camp at the constitutional square until the return of constitutionalism in this country. I am on a hunger protest but I can only take bottled juice or soda from my friends and brothers. And whoever believes that this country needs reform should extend a hand. I demand that Police desists from interfering with my rights if they cannot defend them.

Meanwhile Vincent Sekatte my brother with whom we shared seats in lecture rooms at the university has vowed to shoot me himself. Let him do so. It will mark the end of a plutocracy and dictatorship and give rise to a theocracy that it is meant to be.
I know many of you may wonder why I start by sending such greetings. Many of you may never have known that as much as I have largely been associated with issues to do with academia and human rights activism, I am also a strong believer in the word of God.

I have studied natural theory in political science, law, human rights and philosophy and I am a strong believer in the theory largely because of my upbringing and my resolve to stick to my conscience. I have associated with academics, prominent
journalists, prominent researchers and all sorts of people. But I have come to surmise that we suffer from spiritual doom.
My icon in many ways Norbert Mao whom I have never voted for by the way although I believe is a political leader with God’s anointment has been my spiritual Director although he may not know. I met him once complaining about serious issues and he calmed me by an answer that I would never expect of any Machiavellian politicians that we have in Uganda.

I have also learnt that because of the anointing, his children are also blessed with reason. I have been told of a story of children asking his son Nicholas, now you are going to statehouse, how will you behave and the boy’s answer was, “if we go to statehouse it is okay, but if we don’t go to statehouse it is also okay”. Accordingly, his belief is that “May God’s will be done”.

Some other politicians, however, are deluded into believing that it is either them or none; that politics is a do or die. This Machiavellian principle is devoid of God’s purpose for humanity. If all of us read the Bible and ask God to give us wisdom to comprehend the contents therein, we will know that God’s plan for us is not to have Machiavellian leaders.

While I know that all political parties aim at capture, consolidation and retention of political power, those of us who believe in the supreme importance of human dignity must unceasingly strive to ensure that power is captured democratically, consolidated democratically and retained democratically.

Our God is a universal God; he is a God of justice and a God of mercy. Accordingly, he loves all of us equally; he brooks no impunity and he doesn’t promote revenge. As a theocracy, this country needs a leader without any blemish as to our past history; a leader who is meek, humble and above all a leader who is anointed. I therefore demand that justice be done. We must ensure truth and justice if we are to have a one Uganda for one people. Thus, one brave leader has played a John the Baptist role but the real liberator is none of the 1981-86 struggles. We are all entitled to truth and justice. For God and my country!

The writer is a political scientist cum human rights defender
By VINCENT NUWAGABA
vnuwagaba@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment