Thursday, July 14, 2011

My civil protest against Museveni regime is not about to stop

Vincent Nuwagaba

This article was first published by the Razor Newspaper on Tuesday 5th July 2011

As you read this article I will most probably still be holed up in Butabika Hospital. I launched a non-violent civil protest against the government of President Museveni which has turned many Ugandans into subjects and a clique of a few people into Masters. I have in the recent past been exasperated by many people including some journalists who have shamelessly turned into Museveni’s spin doctors. For anybody of Andrew Mwenda’s repute to argue vehemently that Museveni won the last presidential election clean and square leaves me wondering as to whether he has become an NRM party spokesperson or a ruling party propagandist. To begin with, Museveni’s regime is illegitimate because he raided state coffers, raided Uganda Microfinance Centre, bought fighter jets without approval of parliament, spent huge sums of money to organise a swearing in ceremony of a president who clearly had overstayed his welcome.
Because of the excesses of this government, I decided on Monday 27 June 2011 to launch a non-violent civil protest against the dearth of constitutionalism and rule of law. I wrote to General Kayihura and told him that I was demonstrating and that my demonstration would ultimately lead to the ouster of Museveni’s regime and give rise to a theocracy led by Norbert Mao who is an anointed leader. Uganda is a theocracy and must be led on Godly principles. We are tired of witchcraft, massive corruption, and massive injustices and as sure as day follows night, God will punish this country. God has revealed to me that no matter what Museveni does, he cannot hold onto power for so long. Some of you may think that I am joking but the truth of the matter is that the Policemen at Central Police Station used all tools including boulders, batons on the head; they would hit my head several times on the walls but also they subjected me to the worst forms of torture. I was soaked in sewage and the thugs would pour sewage on me.
Nevertheless, like the bible says in 2Corinthians 6:8-9 “we are often troubled but not crushed, sometimes in doubt but never in despair; there are many enemies but we are never without friends and though badly hurt at times we are never destroyed” . Accordingly, as long as some of us are convinced we are doing God’s work, we shall not succumb to any intimidation; any threats and we are sure we are winners ultimately.
Freedom has never been granted on a silver platter; my friend Asuman Basalirwa says freedom is not taught in classrooms. I am firm and sure that as day follows night, we shall really be liberated. There is no justification whatsoever for Ugandans to part with huge sums of money in taxes and all they receive is the news that Museveni has used trillions of money to buy fighter jets never mind that the only genuine battle to fight is corruption. The First Lady has always said that this country is suffering from spiritual doom and I am sure she is right. Nonetheless, she is part of the problem and not a solution. I have read in papers, the President condoning witchcraft and I have also seen on television the president parading with wizards. This is utter mockery of the constitution, the Bible and the Quran with which all Ugandan politicians swear.
Surprisingly, where they swear is where they leave the oaths they have taken. All they think about is primitive accumulation of wealth. This country is headed for doom if we don’t reclaim it from the vultures. My civil protest has started and even when I am held in whatever place, the struggle will continue. We shall surely overcome. For God and my Country.
Mr. Nuwagaba is a human rights defender
mpvessynuwagaba@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment