Friday, November 7, 2014

Dear Makerereans, render me your support, I will render you my untiring service

Beware of people in the convocation race who are working tooth and  nail to ensure they are lifted high by the university rather than working hard to lift the university. And please do not count me among those scheming to be lifted high by the position in the convocation leadership. I offer myself in order to provide strategic leadership for the good of the university.

I have a track record. I am the only person that vehemently refused to be bribed when I was secretary general for the non-residents community. Because I was leading government-sponsored students whose
allowances were unfairly delayed because some crooked characters first  had to do business with that money to accumulate profits and /or interest, I would have eaten millions of money if I was corruptible  and compromisable.

Some of you must be remembering the November 2003 mega strike that coincided with the installation of Prof Apolo Robinson Nsibambi as a non-head of state chancellor of Makerere University. You may need to
recall that after I commanded my forces to take action, the following day I went to meet the Dean of  Students Mr John Ekuddu. In the Dean's office I met Yusuf Kiranda. I told off Mr Ekuddu and assured him he had no business being in office if he was not prioritising students' welfare. Because of my radical stance against injustice, two days after the strike students' allowances were deposited on their accounts.

You may also need to recall that I served a jail term in Murchison Bay Prison Luzira for opposing the 126% fees increment. Those of you who want a person that will always say yes to fees increment overtures, I
advise you to vote for my opponents not me.

Personally, I know that Section 2 of the Universities and Tertiary Institutions Act clearly spells out that public universities are to be run or maintained out of public funds. Therefore, I expect Makerere University to be the most affordable and cheapest University for purposes of building for the future. Those who think that poor parents and students are always going to be financiers of the last resort to Makerere University must forget that.
I will use my  privileged position put excessive pressure on the Government of Uganda to fund Makerere University adequately, pay both academic and non-academic staff handsomely, remit adequate funding for academic research so as to dissuade our professors from the demonic consultancy research whose findings are largely misleading and I will hold convocation press/media breakfast meetings every month. Makerere must reclaim its past glory. It must be the Harvard of Africa once again. It is you and I to ensure that our alma mater Makerere reclaims its past glory.

It is in the best interest of all alumni of Makerere that we reclaim our number one position because then our paper will be very marketable across the globe. Render me your support I will reciprocate by  rendering you my unwavering and untiring service.

No comments:

Post a Comment