Thursday, November 6, 2014

Gerald Karuhanga, declare your stand now vis-a-vis Makerere Convocation elections

I am inspired and deeply honoured to learn that very many alumni and staff of Makerere read what I post here on this forum and assure me that I am the only person with the wherewithal to hold the flag of Makerereans as the convocation chairman and convocation representative to the university council.

The support you have given me so far remind me of the support Makerere University students of our time always gave me whenever and wherever I would offer myself to lead.

I was not very ambitious during my time at the University. I only wanted to become an international diplomat or a professor. Accordingly, I read international relations and diplomatic studies. I dropped sociology (which could have aided me get a first class) for French because I needed an international language for diplomacy.

Nonetheless, I continued to read and work very hard so much so that I remained on Dean's List and my grades are classified as very good. The seven leadership positions that I held at the same time did not bog me down to the extent of making me fail.

Indeed, I am no the road to becoming a fully-fledged professor of political science having taught in two universities, conducted academic research with the most brilliant professor of law John-Jean Barya. I intend to write five incisive books in the next five years and the first one is coming in the next four months.
Those who have read about Plato - political scientists, lawyers and philosophy graduates/students know well that knowledge is virtue and those with virtue are the ones best suited to lead.

Of all people vying for the position of chairman convocation, I am arguably the only one who engages the public in intellectual discourses. The rest are mobilising mobs behind the scenes and want the mobs to hand the leadership of the most significant institution in Makerere University to them.

They are paying subscription for members well knowing that once they are there they will recoup their expenses a thousandfold. We must say no to these vultures who are scheming to pounce on the Makerere University convocation funds as if it is a carcass.

I continue to hear that my brother Hon Gerald Karuhanga is still in the race which I highly doubt unless I get it from the horse's mouth. Nonetheless, in case and I am saying just in case Gerald K Karuhanga continues to be in the race for chairmanship, his strategy does not work for him and I can openly assure him that he is riding for a fall. I have never seen Gerald Karuhanga lose any election. I saw him become a powerful Makerere Students Guild Speaker; I saw him elected a Guild President and he served excellently well.

I prevailed on UYD students in Lumumba (because I am an elephant and a Democratic Party member) to give him a breathing space when they were up in arms against him. I told them the most important thing is that the empire had a president and the rest was commentary.

Gerald has been and continues to be very helpful to me. But I am worried he is not open to me. I have made several efforts to talk to him and he does not pick my calls. All efforts I make to talk to him are geared towards convincing him to become my vice chairman since he is already too busy with state duties and is doing excellently well as a member of parliament. There is a limit to which one can stand astride. When one overstretches himself/herself, he or she is bound to be torn apart.

Makerere is straining and parliament is straining and stressful. To prove my point, at the age of 31, Gerald Karuhanga's head is full of grey hair. It is because he thinks a lot. If he did not probably goons in this country would have killed him given his frank and honest razor sharp criticism.
But also friends are saying, "you and Gerald are the most resourceful people that we do not want to miss on the convocation leadership" they add, "please, sit down and see how best you can work together".

I have always remarked about Center for Constitutional Governance (CCG) an organisation whose dejure executive director is Hon Maj (Rtd) Okwir Rabwoni. CCG operates from the convocation house but members do not know how it ended up there.

Hon Gerald Karuhanga is the single most important person that gave CCG shelter at the convocation house. And the reason is simple. He admires Hon Okwir, sees him as a mentor and would do anything to offer a helping hand. I have told Bruce Balaba countless times that Gerald did the inevitable. Even if it was me I would have given Okwir domicile. The only difference is that personally, I would have gone further to regularise their stay through tabling the matter in the AGM which was never done.

In the foregoing I remarked that Okwir is a de jure executive director. The de facto Executive Director of CCG is Bireete Sarah. Sarah chooses whatever is done at CCG. Currently she is furious with CCG Board chairman  Bishop David Zac Niringiye because Niringiye raised certain questions that did not go down well with her. Bireete Sarah is excessively corrupt. She is arguably more corrupt than corruption. You all know that she was convicted over a corruption scandal in the ministry of foreign affairs under the great lakes region project. I know she did not appeal but she is out of jail. How she got out of jail without going through the formal legal processes, she herself and the NRM government know better.
Corruption and constitutionalism are incompatible. Now Sarah is busy eating (read stealing) donor funds majorly from DGF and she wants us to believe that she is working to promote constitutional governance. She does not understand what constitutional governance is and what it is not. And because I have always asked tough questions she seems to be the one driving Gerald Karuhanga to stand against me and divide the vote from right thinking alumni and staff members of Makerere University. Hon Gerald Karuhanga needs to pronounce openly whether or not he is standing. I have declared my stand and it is up to the rest to sort themselves out vis-a-vis my stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment