Saturday, May 28, 2011

I was a victim of infights - Bukenya

Thursday, 26th May, 2011
Former Vice-President Gilbert Bukenya in an interview with New Vision at his home in Kakiri, Wakiso district yesterday

Former Vice-President Gilbert Bukenya in an interview with New Vision at his home in Kakiri, Wakiso district yesterday

By Henry Mukasa and Enock Kakande

FORMER Vice-President Prof. Gilbert Bukenya has spoken out on his exit from the Government, saying he has not collapsed, but rather beginning to rise.

Commenting on his tenure, Bukenya said he was many times misunderstood, became a victim of what he called “in-fighting politics” when his grassroots programmes and mobilisation became popular, scaring many in the Government.

“I think I was misunderstood because people cheered me. I am simple. I don’t have airs around me,” Bukenya said in an exclusive interview with the New Vision at his Lwantama home in Wakiso, yesterday.

“If you say I have collapsed (because I was not re-appointed) it’s not possible,” Bukenya noted. “I am not yet spent out, to the contrary I am just beginning to rise. I am not down, I am just getting up,” he added.

Bukenya who held the second highest office in the land for eight years said his exit from the cabinet marked an end to “superficial politics” and he would now concentrate on politics of development.

“I am now a free man to do what I want. I still have the capacity to serve my people and beyond. That’s why I say I was relieved. When I walk about in Kakiri, no one abuses me,” he added.

The Busiro North MP observed that his stint as VP was good as it enabled him learn a lot about politics and the need to be very patient as a leader. “I have learnt the in-fighting in politics… what outsiders don’t know. You think its all fun. Politics is not equal. It is animal farm-like (intrigue filled),” he recollected.

“You agree but never know that someone has an advantage until something else is implemented. If you are sleepy you never enjoy the animal farm, if you are awake you enjoy the animal farm,” he added.

He explained further: “I learnt that to be President, you have to be extremely patient. The president is the person who gets most malicious lugambo (rumours) in the world. If he is not steady he is misled or can kill people. Everyone is jostling to reach the top.”

The former VP identified the challenges the nation is facing as; unity of the people, stamping out sectarianism, removal of animal-farm like politics, strict use of rule of law, not letting the Constitution to live, use of media to malign others and politicizing key sectors of health and education.

“You can campaign against sectarianism when you practice it,” he said.

Bukenya also observed that the Constitution needs to be left to live for a long time before its reviewed to see whether it needs to be amended. “If we change the Constitution all the time, it could lead to a danger. Tomorrow it could be you. Whenever we have a problem, we change the Constitution.”

On the frosty Buganda-Government relations, Bukenya cautioned that traditions systems which have existed before modern Governments need to be respected and a bridge for dialogue maintained. “When you break the bridge between traditions and modern government people look for sanctuary.

When former President Obote over criticized Baganda and tortured them, it was the beginning of Luwero (liberation war). If you call Kabaka of Buganda, ‘Mutebi’ I feel bad as a Muganda because traditionally it doesn’t happen. When the Kabaka is going to Nakivubo why is he welcomed by millions of people? It’s because of traditions.

As a politician, when I need people I transport them. But the Kabaka will come and speak for one minute and people go back happy,” he added.

Bukenya took issue with some media organisations for allegedly allowing to be used by politicians to fight personal wars. He said pictures splashed in a local tabloid were pushed by “some people” to project him in bad light.

He elaborated that because people have failed to appreciate his successes and good side he had embarked on writing his second book “to praise myself.”

He said he was taken aback by an article in the local media claiming that former Prime minister Prof. Apolo Nsibambi had performed poorly as leader of Government business in Parliament. He said Nsibambi was spot-on in a difficult parliament. “He defended this Government and one time I told him ‘weyambudde’ (you have gone over-board). He was a performer. Whoever will come after him will find it difficult to step into his shoes,” he commented.

Bukenya has several income generating projects at his home and neighbourhood where he has employed about 600 constituents. He says he will concentrate on supervision of these projects and teach residents how to overcome poverty.

“I want government to change to this kind of politics. But if you do these call you mubbi (thief) and mulimba (liar). If Uganda puts money in cottage industries instead of dishing out money, Uganda would be very far.”

Bukenya who contested for the post of NRM Secretary General and lost to Prime Minister designate Amama Mbabazi, said he was no longer interested in the influential party post. “I have no interest at all! Why did we spend a lot of money campaigning for Secretary General and you relinquish it in one day? We were maligned! I was called sectarian… that I am eyeing the post of President. Why do you leave it now?.”

Bukenya who joined politics in 1996 said he will however continue to support President Yoweri Museveni and the ruling NRM party 100% but do only tasks that don’t involve power struggles. He also ruled out contesting for the Presidency. “I will support through community mobilization and innovative programmes like these (commercial farming). This is the best way! I can do the donkey work for him (Museveni) and NRM,” he vowed.

The Professor heaped praises on President Museveni describing him as a very patient man with a good sense of judgment. “As an individual he is superb. He has a heart of gold,” Bukenya said of his boss.

He recalled that between nine months and one year ago, if it were former President Idi Amin in charge, he would be dead. “Some people accused me to him (President Museveni) that I am mobilising to over-throw him. He even called me to a meeting with those people. When I left, as a human I was terrified. I looked around for soldiers to bump me off. They did not come that day, the following day and even today. The President has a good sense of judgment,” Bukenya revealed.

On whether he employed the tactic of black-mail to stay on as VP since 2003, Bukenya dismissed the reports saying even in his meetings with the president he never discussed personalities. He explained that he was successful as a mobiliser by drawing from his skills in public health training. “Politics is about service delivery, public health is about implementing. In political science you learn tricks of blocking someone, in public health you care for the common person.”

Bukenya listed proliferation of small scale industries and his upland rice project as some of his successes.

No comments:

Post a Comment