Wednesday, December 28, 2016

OPEN LETTER TO THE CHAIRMAN ELECTORAL COMMISSION ENGINEER DR BADRU M. KIGGUNDU


I refer to the letter to the Returning Officer, Mitooma Electoral District referenced LEG 75/79/01 dated 10th December, 2015 entitled “Complaint by Mr. Vincent Nuwagaba on failure to be nominated for the Ruhinda North Parliamentary Seat, Mitooma District”.
The letter goes, “Please find herein attached a copy of a complaint on the above captioned requiring your attention. The Commission will appreciate a response on the concerns raised in regard to the nomination exercise; and further be informed that the Commission will sit to determine the same on Friday 18th December, 2015 at 9.20am, to which you are invited; and by copy of this communication, Mr. Vincent Nuwagaba is hereby invited to attend the said meeting”. The letter was signed by Eng. Dr. Badru M. Kiggundu, chairperson, Electoral Commission and only copied to me. My phone contacts were provided on the letter yet nobody called me.
The letter is written on 10th and it takes 8 days before reaching MISR. What courier company does the EC use?
The meeting is scheduled for 9AM and the letter inviting a complainant to attend the meeting arrives at 1:45. What Mischief did the commission exactly intend to cure?
On Monday 14th I was arrested and detained at Jinja Road Police station. The cause of my arrest was an attempt to go to the EC to demand my right to get nominated. If they had already written the letter on 10th, why didn’t they simply give the letter to me?
I am scheduled to report to police today on charges of common nuisance. Yet I had my head shattered by the police commanded by the OC EC SSP Besigye. What kind of Uganda are we trying to build?
The letter is written to the returning officer and only copied to me. Why wouldn’t they invite Thomas Tayebwa as well because my complaint accused Tayebwa primarily?
The EC was furnished with my phone contacts and email address. In this Millennium three generation, why wouldn’t the commission send me an email, a text message, or make a phone call to me? What sort of institution is Uganda’s “Independent” Electoral Commission? How independent is the IEC? How efficient and effective is the IEC? How fair, impartial and neutral is this institution that is an arbiter in our political contests?
Why doesn’t the IEC chairman put to task the Returning Officer, Mitooma District to document in writing the causes for which he refused to nominate me?
Vincent Vessy Nuwagaba
Parliamentary Aspirant, Ruhinda North
+256702843552/+256772843552
vnuwagaba@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment