Wednesday, December 28, 2016

THE ORDEAL I HAVE GONE THROUGH FOR JUST BEING HUMAN

Now my former phony friends are attacking me and the reason as to why they do attack me is because I am insisting justice , social, economic, political or whatever form is an inherent right to which all are entitled. That tells you after all those that have been claiming to fight for justice, have always been liars. My genuine friends say equality is untenable we try equity. My unadulterated belief is that equality is tenable and inviolable. You ask me how. The scriptures have already given us the formula. Be guided by the MORAL RULE. In Christianity, the moral rule is "Do to others as you would have them do to you". Luke 6:31. I never want to be dehumanised, exploited, denigrated, dispossessed, disrespected, disregarded, deprived, alienated and extorted. I have never done any of these things to anybody. If you show me only one person that I did anything related to these things, I will drink hemlock from the City Square and leave Planet earth.
I know somebody will say, you threw a stone at MISR one day. Ask that person, what was the cause. People in Uganda are very funny. Funny indeed, they want to judge me by the standards with which they cannot allow themselves to be judged. Do you know why I have no address and identity as I speak? Do you ever know why my PhD fellowship that I received in 2013 was ostensibly suspended (of course illegally since the suspender had neither admitted me nor was he the owner of the fellowship?
I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A VICTIM OF ROTTEN INJUSTICE
Do you ever know that the MISR PhD Administrator once got me out of the library, used all the brute force, bartered me, tied me with ropes, took me to the police from where they drove me to the Mulago Psychiatric unit. Of course, the Mulago people couldn't stupidly admit a person as a patient yet clearly is being subjected to mental, psychological and physical torture.
I called Dr Lawyer Kafureeka who was at CBR. They drove me to CBR and painfully Dr. Kafureeka jumped on the Vehicle and they drove me to Butabika. Because I had been taken there by MISR staff I requested to be taken to the Private Wing of the Hospital. Dr. Lawyer Kafureeka or Simon Musoke can explain whether by request to be taken into the Private Wing was granted.
Below is the email exchange that can explain exactly what I am.
Notice and Warning Letter from Simon Musoke
Inbox
x
Vincent Nuwagaba <vnuwagaba@gmail.com>
11/26/13
to Mahmood, simon.musoke, bcc: george.owor, bcc: kenyawe
Dear Prof Mamdani,
I have received a letter from Simon Musoke, a PhD administrator at
MISR purporting that he has "received numerous complaints from the
management staff of MISR library" about what he called "my
inappropriate behaviour whenever I have visited the library". He adds
that the following are some of the complaints that have been raised.
I would like to respond to each allegation raised against me. 1. That
I "abuse the library staff, call them all sorts of names like them
being terrorists and agents of the state, manhandle them, threaten to
beat them up, tell them how I am joining MISR as a PhD student in
January 2014 and how close I am to the Director, disregarding the
rules and procedures given to me in using the library facility, and
also despising them". My response to this is that I have never abused
anyone because I am a liberated man. I believe in the Golden Rule of
morality which is espoused by all religions that I know of. In
Christianity, the Golden rule states, "Do to others as you would have
them do to you" (Luke 6:31, Matthew 7:12). In Islam the golden rule
states that, "None of you is a believer until he desires for his
brother that which he desires for himself". In the Bahai Faith, the
golden rule is "Blessed is he who prefers his brother before himself".
In Budhism, the golden rule is "Hurt not others in ways that you would
find hurtful". In Judaism, the golden rule is "What is hateful to you,
do not to your fellow man".
Accordingly, Simon Musoke and the alleged MISR library staff hate
being abused. But they have perfected the art of abusing. Even sex
workers are better behaved than them. I was kidnapped on the morning
of Monday 25, November and went through hell. I found the books that I
had including the readings for Sunday 24, and my Rosary at the MISR
reception. Am I wrong to suspect that they belong to the dirty tricks
unit?
As for Simon Musoke, he tells me he is a sociologist. Sociologists are
supposed to be scientific. I am sure he knows that these people - the
complainants have a mental virus but he sides with them. Yet he is a
PhD administrator. I suspect that he has a mens rea for making life
difficult for me even if I have started. On the 21, October I was
tormented by the security guard of the law school under what he told
me were "orders from above". I ran towards MISR for rescue but I found
hell with Simon. I firmly believe that Simon will not give me a
condusive environment to study.
I have all the rights to use MISR library. In fact, I am already a PhD
student. The only difference is that we are in the period of holidays.
Otherwise, upon admission, I think and maybe I am wrong that one
becomes a student immediately. Accordingly, if Simon Musoke is the one
who admitted me, let him now dismiss me. If you, iconic Professor
Mamdani together with your able team admitted me, I beg for a fair
hearing. As a human rights defender, I know the right to a fair
hearing is a non-derogable right. On the basis of this letter which I
am going to scan, I am filing a suit of libel against Simon Musoke.
And professor, before you listen to both sides (a legal principle of
audi alteram partem), I can only feel safe and secure in the MISR
library for it provides me with academic growth. Besides, Simon always
sends us regular correspondences, how does he expect me to respond to
them.
On whether I am known to you, I was a member of the Prof Mamdani
discussion group together with Simba Salie, Stephen Arojjo, Crispy
Kintu Nyago, Mesharch Katusiime, Henry Kassacca and Enock Kiyaga
Mayanja among others. I also assisted Morris Nsamba to collect data
for you as you were writing your book "Scholars in the Market Place".
As a student leader I led the student volunteers team at the CODESRIA
General Assembly of December 2002 which was hosted at the
International Conference Centre to honour you Prof Mamdani. Prof
Adebayo Olukoshi gave us the volunteers free membership but I also
have my other academic home at CBR which you started. Should I be
victimised because I know you?
Finally, I am reliably informed that my tormentors are not employees of MISR but of the University Library. I beg that they be transferred where their uncouth behaviour can be brooked. I also beg that Simon restrains from his patronising and condescending attitute. I have refused to be patronised by Kayihura, Otafiire - my area MP and Yoweri Museveni. I can only be patronised by the almighty God. Accordingly, I will never stop using the library until I have gotten express orders from you. And I am sure you cannot do that out of irrational emotions, impulse for you cannot be swayed by any wind to any direction.
Sincerely,
VINCENT NUWAGABA
+256702843552
Vincent Nuwagaba <vnuwagaba@gmail.com>
11/26/13
to nuwamanyaalfred
Mahmood Mamdani <mm1124@columbia.edu>
11/26/13
to Irene, me, simon.musoke
Dear Vincent Nuwagaba,
I write to you as Executive Director of MISR. In light of what has happened, I am suspending your admission to the 2014 class pending a final decision of the meeting of the PhD teaching staff.
Please note that you do not have privileges to use the MISR library since you are neither a student nor a staff member. I advise you to stay away from MISR premises.
Sincerely,
Mahmood Mamdani
Comrades, help me, 1) ask Prof. Mamdani whether it is proper or professorial to condemn people unheard. In law, we have a principle of audi alteram partem which means hear both sides. This is a non-derogable right in our Constitution spelt out in Article 44.
Ask when the "final decision of the meeting of the PhD teaching staff" was made, who made that decision in particular (names), what decision was made and how legal or legitimate was that decision?
For the benefit of whoever is reading this, I met Prof. Mahmood in December. When we met I explained to him the genesis and how I was a victim of injustice perpetrated onto me by the workers in the library.
Mahmood told me: We gave you a fellowship because we discovered you are critical. He then added, but you should be critical with discipline. I told Mahmood that in whatever I do, I am guided by the golden rule. I had a bible and opened Luke 6:31 and then Matthew 7:12. I told Mahmood that the golden rule cuts across all faiths and I offered to give him the details if he so wished. He told me me unfortunately "your fellowship was given to a lady who hitherto had not been admitted"
The Semester was opening if I recall properly on 6th January (if that was the first Monday of the month) and he rescheduled our next meeting for the Tuesday that followed and he himself had established that Prof. John-Jean Barya was my mentor, then I had told him of what I had gone through and told him how Dr. Simon Rutabajuuka had prescribed me the medicine, so he said Jean-Barya, Simon Rutabajuuka and Lawyer Kafureeka would attend. I suggested it would have been better to invite Prof Charles Bwana and Archangel Rukooko for they had been my referees. He accepted but it turns out he never invited the rest but good enough he invited Barya and Lawyer. I had no reason to believe that I had lost my fellowship.
Things kept dragging up as this time he demanded that Dr. Sylvia Nshemereiwe be part of the meeting.
The first time we were to meet, I was arrested from the main gate and taken to CPS. The following day, I was told I had jumped bail over the stupid fabrication by Livingstone Sewanyana of the Foundation for Human Rights Initiative alleging that I had attempted to rape a one Doreen Namyalo.
Later in February, Dr. Sylvia Nshemerirwe came along with clinical psychologist Rogers Nsereko. They said the disorder I had was unchangeable. Sylvia stated that she was the only psychiatrist with whom we were friends which is very true because I am fully aware she is professional.
Dr Nshemerirwe stated that she has never found it necessary to put me on drugs. Indeed, Sylvia has never ever prescribed for me not a single tegretol, or CPZ or artene for she knows I am not supposed to take any drugs.
HOW AND WHEN DID MY JOURNEY TO BUTABIKA START?
In March 2008, I was invited for a political talk show at the Uganda Broadcasting Corporation (UBC) Television. The theme was "Employment Creation and Protection of Workers rights as a prerequisite for socio-economic development". I had done my internship for a year at NOTU where I was also writing my Master of Human Rights Thesis on "Trade Unions and Defence of Workers' Rights, a case of National Union of Plantation and Agricultural Workers' in Uganda" under the most able supervision of Africa's number one labour lawyer the most amiable John-Jean Barya".
On the show, I was co-hosted with Charles Bakkabulindi, perennial workers' MP and minister Charles Bakabulindi. While I was supposed to present my independent views expecting Bakabulindi to present a case for his constituents, Baka as he is fondly called chose to defend the rotten, filthy, decadent practices of the heartless capitalist system presided over by predator Yoweri Museveni who sadistically derives pleasure through exploitation, dispossession, dehumanisation, degradation and denigration of the masses with the intent to ensure all the money is his like he has in the past said. This means, not even Sudhir Ruparelia that we knew to be the richest man is at the mercy of the man who claims to be a vision monopolist even when it is clear that his vision is blurred.
Lest I digress, I had published two articles in the Monitor in a space of less than three weeks. One was titled "Graft begets graft" and another one was titled, "This women talk is a hoax".
I still remember very well, I had a meeting on Tuesday 8th April 2008 at a restaurant in Workers' House with one of my leading role models but also my capacity builder physically, morally and intellectually Dr. Mesharch W. Katusiimeh currently senior lecturer in the Department of Governance at Makerere University Business School. We agreed that I was going to stand in Ruhinda County which then was represented by Maj. General Kahinda Otafiire.
The following day, on March 9, 2008 I went to Kamwokya Kifumbira Zone to check on my small business that was run by a relative. When I reached there I only found that - they had snatched my business from me. The boyfriend to the said relative picked a panga and threatened to cut me into pieces. Immediately, I called Gen. Kale Kayihura and told him, "Gen. you recently authored a report stating that the level of crime had drastically fallen, but I am here in among your Bafumbira in Kamwokya and they are about to hack me into pieces". Gen Kayihura said, "Why do you say my people?". I said, I know you are an ethnic Mufumbira, you may need to explain to me whether that is criminal". Kale then added, "Come to the headquarters and we meet, I am there". The police headquarters were at Parliament Avenue.
I went and reached there in less than 20 minutes. When I reached, I was physically tormented by the police at the gate. I had both Kayihura and his personal assistant's number, they kept tossing me up and down.
Around 2, I went to Human Rights Network -Uganda (Hurinet) and met the national coordinator my very goof friend Mohammed Ndifuna. I explained to him what had happened and asked whether there could be any quick positive intervention to help me. That day I never saw the police, never arrested the guy that had been a threat to my life so I went home in Ntinda and slept.
Very early in the morning, on Thursday 10, there was a function I was to attend at Makerere University but then chose to first go to radio one studio to explain my situation.
I boarded a taxi from Ntinda heading to town. At Wandegeya, a lady alighted out of the taxi and paid a Sh 1000 note. The conductor refused to give her the balance of 500. The lady definitely became livid. I asked the conductor, "Why can't you give her her money", both the conductor and the driver turned their wrath against me. When we reached Watoto, they told me to get out of the taxi I said yes. They told me to pay their fair which I think was at least less than 1000, I said you have forced me out of the taxi before reaching my destination, I will not pay you.
Immediately there were many people around they carried me while strangled until I reached City Square. I thought after reaching the police station, I would be relieved. Little did I know that all along the regime machinery had always wanted me. I cannot tell whether they had been ordered by Gen Kayihura owing to what had happened the previous day but anything is possible.
When I reached there everyone knew me. I now know they knew me because I was a regime critic on the then popular Kimmezza program aired by Radio One. One of them told me, "So you thought we wouldn't get you". Another one said, "Vincent Nuwagaba there are three four files against you. A file from the president, from the Inspector General of Police, From Hon Otafiire and another one from the minister internal affairs who then was Dr. Livingstone Ruhakana Rugunda". I asked, what charge was to be proffered on me, and whether I could call my lawyers and family". They heard none of that. I had three phones, all of them were taken, I had more than 100 US Dollars, it was taken and I had other things some of which I cannot recall but I will later get documents for I wrote to several stakeholder agencies.
When I reached the CPS dungeon, I was introduced to real torture. I now recall I was arrested and detained on a Thursday. The following day, I was yelling for help. Through the windows, a policeman who happened to have been at Bubangizi SS found me and he became compassionate. He asked me if I had any phone numbers of people he could call. I gave him four numbers that I had off-head. I gave him the number of Hon. Norbert Mao, I gave him that of Hon. Lyandro Komakech, Prof. John-Jean Barya and Alex Kibandama one of the most prominent young city lawyers. My O.B called Prof. John-Jean Barya. Prof Barya came very early on a Saturday. It was my third day in the cells, I was put under solitary confinement (CPS has cells within cells), the police would order the Katikiro's to do me all things they would want. I can't estimate the amount of money that was poured on me.
Now when Prof. Barya arrived at CPS, I do not know the mood in which he was (Barya almost never gets angry). What I suspect is that he could have challenged them on matters of the law. To prove that Uganda Police and stinking impunity are synonyms, being a celebrated professor of law at Makerere University notwithstanding, they blocked him from seeing me. Meanwhile I didn't believe that they could poison me so I ate nothing. It was on Sunday 13, that my brother, friend, OB and neighbour from Rutookye, Nyakatsiro, Bitereko David Tumusingize called my brother Dennis D. Muhumuza and told him of what had happened. Dennis called our other brother Thomas Tayebwa our current MP. Tom as he is commonly known was staying with our brother Bruce Balaba the then chairman Makerere University Convocation and current Chairman Makerere University Appointments Board.
Tom and Bruce wasted no time. They drove to CPS and it was around 8pm that I saw them. I was secluded in a cell within a cell. I will never forget the experience. I don't know what they had poured on the floor that was responsible for the pain I suffered. I have never forgotten such kind of torture.
Meanwhile, for all the time I was in the Cells, I would assure whoever would come including Johnson Bahimbise who then was an Assistant Superintendent of Police and was the officer in charge. I entirely blame everything on Johnson Bahimbise who ironically had studied with Dad Henry Rukundo at Makobore but also whose wife Anna is from our village in Bitereko and was my primary school teacher at Kigarama Primary school in early classes!
Because they knew I had assured them I would report what they had done first to media houses and second, make a formal complaint to the Uganda Human Rights Commission, Bahimbise couldn't release me unconditionally he would be to account for illegal detention, torture and deprivation of liberty. He knew I needed no lawyer for in matters law I have almost been my own laywer. Where all my unpaid lawyers - John-Jean Barya, Asuman BasalirwaNicholas Opiyo and Ladislaus Rwakafuuzi helped me is to secure my bond for the police or bail in case I am prosecuted.
So, Bahimbise assured Tom and Bruce Balaba, "If you are not taking him to Butabika, I will not release him". Of course, if they were used to the human rights work like I have always done, the first step would be to go to the Uganda Human Rights Commission or go to court to apply for habeas.
When Tom saw me before he said anything he told me, "Waba otaikirize kuza Butabika tindaza kukwihamu omukihome eki" translated in English he said "If you don't accept to go to Butabika, I will not get you out of these cells". I surely, don't remember whether I said anything to Tom for his first statement was exacerbating the already exacerbated mental anguish and psychological torture.
Bruce on the other hand very nice to me, talked to me very humbly, ensured I ate a nice meal and had a very big bottle of water. On Monday 14th April 2008, Bruce and Tom arrived early enough. Bruce removed the outer shells of the eggs for me, literally fed me and showed me "motherly love" never mind that he is not a woman.(AT THIS STAGE, I HAVE BEGAN SHEDDING TEARS not because of the torture the mafia regime had meted out onto me but because of the realisation that Bruce loved me and has often loved me) . THANK YOU GOD FOR THE GIFT OF BRUCE.
JOURNEY TO BUTABIKA
We set off to Butabika Hospital with Bruce driving and me in the co-driver's seat while Tom and others (I really don't how many police escorts we had for because I was with Bruce already, I was as good as one who was home). In the short journey I was cracking jokes and sharing my plans urgent of which was to formally marry by going to St. Augustine Makerere or Rubaga Cathedral or Our Lady of Africa Mbuya or Christ the King Church) for a formal wedding. I already had a woman (not a wife) called Prisca Kyobutungi. When I reached Butabika, I never expected to be detained in the hospital.
We first met I think PCO Jjuko and we talked. He asked me questions and I explained to him everything. They asked why I was speaking so fast and Bruce told them "Vincent speaks at a fast speed and says a lot of words but he speaks sense through and through".
Because I had been taken by my family (Thomas is my biological brother - note that in our Kikiga culture, you cannot address your uncle's son as cousin but brother. So the term cousin is alien and I never use is). Bruce is also my brother in all ways and people who know us - the Yusuf KirandaAyub L. KirandaGerald K KaruhangaSalim MwaseAsuman BasalirwaEmmanuel KitamirikeNabukeera JanetMagara BennetMuhereza Rivan Peter know that Vincent Nuwagaba, Thomas Tayebwa, Bruce Balaba and Gerald Karuhanga are inextricably linked and inseparable. You will not see me in their company where they hang out because for me I am preoccupied with thinking and trying to implement my thoughts. But whenever or wherever we meet we are very much inseparable.
That does not mean that we agree on many things. The essence of comradeship is not the convergency of thoughts, beliefs and aspirations. Rather it is the acceptance of difference and diversity. I always tell people that, "never expect or even attempt to force people to think, say or act the way you do". I go ahead to say, just like we don;t look similar either on face, figure, structural make up, voice and smiles, it is inevitable that people will always disagree.
I am a very funny human creature, people tell me I look like the late Uncle Lt. Theohillus Muhangi (RIP), others say I look like my late Uncle Silver Katwatwa Mutungi when people see my mother Mary Tusingwire (earlier called Maria Katahikire (because she was born a premature) they confirm immediately saying we resemble each other. What I can confirm is that my mother and I are very very stubborn. Stubbornness is not a bad thing. In fact it is very good. Because I am stubborn, when I take a stand, I am harder than a concrete wall. No tool can break me. No amount of threat, persuasion or sweet talking can change my stand.
The reason as to why I am that hard is that I take time to draw conclusions. I cannot draw conclusions before I do a psychological test about a social phenomenon or a human being. For human beings it is easy to do a psychological test on them. If you want to know people, stop praising them, tell them your mind freely but also tell them what you think may annoy them and you see how they react. I confirmed that a Cissy KagabaBishop David Zac NiringiyeTumwine Patrick and Livingstone Sewanyana were corrupt using a psychological test. For Livingstone it took me ten years to understand him fully. That tells you how sophisticated he is. For the others it took me less than a month. The day I was arrested together with Zac Niringiye at Wandegeya Police station is the day I knew that most people who purport to fight for us are seeking cheap popularity, flattery and self-aggrandisement in monetary aspects.
It took me a very short while to confirm that Mahmood Mamdani is not the kind of intellectual we take him for. I told him that he had in his numerous publications positioned himself as a crusader for justice and a humble human beings with no interest in fiscal property - houses, farms, cars, donkeys and mistresses. In fact, like I have often stated, these are immaterial possessions.
HELL IN BUTABIKA MENTAL HOSPITAL
I expected to come back with Bruce and Tom because surely I know I am not a person of unsound mind and never will I be. People you can succeed calling persons of unsound mind are the naked, people clothed in rags whose source of livelihood is left-overs picked from skip bins or garbage bins. Quite shockingly such people can never be taken for treatment in Mental Hospitals like Butabika.
LikeShow More Reactions
Comment
Comments
Kule Birengesyo Eriya so sorry dearest friend
Muhereza Keneth Bash no weapon formed against you shall prosper. Always tell them that he who that seeks equity must come with clean hands. Am actually sorry for their purgery than your peril.
Vincent Vessy Nuwagaba

No comments:

Post a Comment