Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Yes, defiance to injustice is all citizens’ patriotic call





On Wednesday 2, October 2013 I witnessed with rage MP Ibrahim Ssemujju violently thrown out of Parliament and I wondered where our country is headed to. I always don’t like using newspaper columns to write about my ordeal but since we are inextricably woven, I have been impelled to write this so that a lasting solution to the abuse of public institutions can be found.  For starters, I personally have been subjected to inhuman and degrading treatment on several occasions at Parliament, Uganda Broadcasting Corporation (UBC), in Murchison Bay Prison and strangely though not surprisingly in the Uganda Human Rights Commission (UHRC) and court premises at the orders of the commission secretary and Grade II Magistrate James Wambaya. I don’t have to mention the police premises and Butabika Mental Hospital – never mind that the same people who were subjecting me to pharmacological torture confided to the police that I have overflowing brains. They drag me into the mental hospital when it suits them and the courts of law and finally prison when it suits them also.
In fact, I have had my clothes torn, deprived of my phones, money and computer and each time I have reported nothing has been done. Each time I have been humiliated, degraded and dehumanized from Parliament, there have been Members of Parliament clearly watching and have done nothing.
I remember very well that on one occasion, it is Hon Medard Segona who felt concerned and advised me to report to any of the parliament commissioners but I was still blocked from accessing the offices of the commissioners. Injustice is reprehensible, abhorrent and morally repugnant regardless of who does it. I have on several occasions told the police that I am not the IGP’s ball to be kicked by the police at will and at whim – and I am yet to have a breathing space.
Parliament, UBC and UHRC are public institutions hence nobody should be barred from accessing them. It is becoming clear to me that the police are under instructions to make sure they bar me from accessing both parliament and UBC. My crime, however, is that I have consistently demanded accountability from people who have a contractual obligation to work for Ugandans. As a political scientist, I was exposed to both revolutionary violence and non-violent political struggles. I fully support non-violence revolutions because I do not only abhor but I also fear violence. I feel scared when I see someone bleeding; at my age, I do not look at dead bodies and I feel pain in my heart when someone is violently treated.  MPs who thought it was only me humiliated must now come to a realization that they are not safe either as long as they are critical of the misdeeds of the regime. A direct infraction of one person’s rights constitutes an indirect infraction of all people’s rights.
I decry Hon Ssemujju’s humiliation in the parliamentary chambers because to begin with I am fully convinced that what he, Odonga-Otto and Ssekikubo did is what any pro-people, pro-democracy and pro-human rights MP should have done. It is inconceivable that any sound MP could have idly allowed an unjust legislation to be passed without any resistance. I have openly preached rebellion, disobedience and defiance of injustice. While opposition MPs welcomed Deputy Speaker Jacob Oulanyah’s apology on Tuesday 8, as a good gesture of a good leader, my deduction is that his apology was an acknowledgement of guilt; a confirmation that he is not above-board; a concession that his emotions outweigh reason; a testament that he cannot control his impulses and hardly can he appeal to his conscience. Thus, he could do the country proud if he resigned in public interest for such character is inimical to the office of Deputy Speaker which requires unbridled sobriety 24 hours, seven days.  The Swedish premier resigned for she unintentionally used government funds to buy pampers for her baby.
I write about Hon Oulanyah with a heart full of love. I write about a man whom together with Hon Norbert Mao were my first political role models; from whom I learnt a lot and occasionally rode with in the same vehicle. I write about a man whose late wife Dorothy (RIP) was my respectable leader in Jami Ya Kupatanisha. I write about a man who was a pillar of Acholi Makerere Students’ Association to which I was an associate member during my days at Makerere as a student. That I love Ndugu Jacob doesn’t mean I look on as he desecrates a sacrosanct state institution – parliament which is a bastion of free expression and divergent viewpoints. Defiance to injustice is a patriotic call for all Ugandans.
The writer is a PhD student in Political Studies and human rights defender

No comments:

Post a Comment