Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Abdication of your duties caked with naked sectarianism, letter to President Museveni



                                                                             Vincent Nuwagaba
                                                                             Faculty of Law, Mak.
                                                                             Cell: 0772843552
                                                                             vnuwagaba@gmail.com


H. E President Museveni

RE: Abdication of your duties caked with naked sectarianism
This long letter comes from a human rights defender who has suffered the wrath of dysfunctional state institutions but is determined not to die at his knees but his toes. I will not enumerate how many times I have been arbitrarily arrested, jailed and tortured. Right now, I am undergoing malicious prosecution and the iconic professor Oloka-Onyango who you have labeled an agent of disorientation knows the genesis my ordeal. A university don in the faculty of law has written about the trials and tribulations of Dr. Kizza Besigye, I guess someone will also write on the trials and tribulations of Vincent Nuwagaba.
Your Excellency, you are a fountain of honour. Thus, your office should be run in the most honourable manner, should be above board and exemplary. I think this is what President Kagame endeavours to do. Anyway, anyhow, we cannot continue to accept that you run Uganda at your whims as though it is a family estate even when you are making it difficult for university professors to sponsor their own children in a university where they teach. How do you sanction the increment of tuition up to 126 percent and raise civil servants salaries by a mere 5%. You wrote to me that the opposition has no alternative now let me claim the opposition’s role. Your government must adequately fund public educational institutions, pay lecturers well and extend a subsidy to private universities because the students trained therein are not private citizens but Ugandan citizens. You must get out of America’s straightjacket which came in a package of Structural Adjustment Programmes through the unholy trinity of the World Bank, International Monetary Fund and World Trade Organisation. We must be independent now. If it takes you labeling me a politician not a human rights defender, so be it.

Personally, I wrote to you complaining about tuition increment in Makerere University. The reward I got was to be sent to the University of understanding. I never gave up. I brought a petition from a section of students and submitted it to the speaker of parliament. I submitted a copy of that petition in your office. Now, students on statehouse scholarship at Makerere University have done exams using chits from the Academic Registrar’s office that statehouse will pay. This happens in the wake of hiking tuition in public universities to the tune of 126%. Please read through the petition I personally delivered in your office at parliament or ask for a copy from me. It is now as plain as a nose on your face that you have chosen to toe a path that will keep a few people in power and the majority of us in subjugation. Why can’t other students whose sponsors commit to pay be allowed to sit exams with a balance? I wrote to you on 13th August 2009 contesting tuition increment in public universities arguing instead that government should increase funding to these universities. In my letter I stated that it is ironical that non priority sectors such as statehouse and the military always get supplementary funding yet education is not prioritised choosing instead that the peasants should run the public educational institutions through unaffordable fees.

I am writing to you to further remind you that my boldness to tell you my mind led to my being tortured by the police which you have militarized on 17 August after I had been denied my admission letter simply because I had opposed your inhuman, undemocratic, fiendish and invidious practice of sanctioning the increment of fees of up to 126 per cent. Ultimately I was detained in Wandegeya police cells for two days and later remanded to Luzira for a period of 15 days on trumped up charges.

You have always duped many of us especially peasants that you went to the bush to liberate us. Kindly tell Ugandans how, why, which and how many students get statehouse scholarships? Where do they come from? I have been told that it is the children of the veterans and fallen soldiers. If that is true, I demand the criterion followed to award those scholarships because my dear uncle Lt Muhangi Theophillus RO 3881 died in the military service and I am burdened by his children despite the fact that I am equally marginalised with good grades. Your Excellency, I personally applied for a statehouse scholarship when I had been admitted for a master’s degree because I thought I had a right to benefit from taxpayers’ money. But, why couldn’t I get it?

There is a document in one of the Runyakitara papers which had the minutes of the alleged meeting that you had where it was resolved that the Basiita rule for fifty years. In that document it is reported that it was resolved that Salim Saleh goes back to school and gets a senior six certificate; that Keinerugaba joins the military and that your ethnic people join the army, police and key positions of responsibility. By ring-fencing university education you are surely perfecting that mission. I know this time I have touched the hottest button but I am ready to die on the frontline using my brain through the pen and microphone than waging a senseless military battle which will claim innocent Ugandans. I am ready to be charged with fanning sectarian sentiments because I condemn your government’s sectarian practices. Good enough you are immune to prosecution.
I haven’t done all my exams because I have paid 60 percent of the fees because the money I had for paying was stolen by your police officers when they came to show me that I am a subject and not a citizen in my country; many sons and daughters of peasants have dropped out of the courses they had been admitted for and you continue saying prosperity for all! This time even the peasants should not listen to your hollow promises.

You may have forgotten the political science you studied in Tanzania. Thus, I have a duty to remind you that in the social contract theory, people surrender some of the responsibilities into the Leviathan, a ruler at that but they remain with the right to resist an oppressive and repressive leadership.
You are creating apartheid in Uganda and as citizens we are duty-bound to oppose your character vehemently. I must say that as a taxpayer, you and the beneficiaries of your corrupt and sectarian oligarchy depend on us taxpayers but we don’t depend on you. Please respect our money. You have said before that those who disagree with you should get plots of land outside Uganda as if they stay in your Rwakitura land; personally I will not and if you can put me out of action please do. I don’t know whether your government kills although I was about to meet my creator from April to July and I made you know that. But if it does, none of us is immortal. The difference will be that if I am put out of action I will leave a legacy akin to that of Dr. Martin Luther Jr King. Please order Major Gen. Kayihura and his boys to keep away from me as all they get from me is international ridicule. But anyway, Uganda under Museveni has lost a sense of shame. Otherwise, I would expect resignation after many have been blacklisted in The Book of Fame and Shame by ACCU.
Finally, your government must rescind the fees increment and increase funding to the university.
For God and My country!
Yours,


Vincent Nuwagaba
Human rights defender and LLB 1 Student

Contact: +256772 843 552/ +256702 843 552/ +256712 843 552

No comments:

Post a Comment