Wednesday, February 1, 2017

IN SEARCH OF A REPLY REGARDING MY PhD FELLOWSHIP

 Vincent Nuwagaba<vnuwagaba@gmail.com> Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 9:42 AM
To: Mahmood Mamdani <mahmood.mamdani@columbia.edu>
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Delete | Show original
Dear Prof Mamdani,
I have written to you but have got no response. I wonder whether you have not read your mails since I started writing to you three or four days ago.
From what the Vice Chancellor Prof John Ddumba told me, you acted ultra vires to suspend my PhD. While that one alone was bad enough, you said my suspension was pending a graduate teaching staff meeting.
That meeting never took place. Accordingly, the said SUSPENSION IS VOID AB INITIO (null and void from the very start). This means I was never suspended and I am a student with the other eleven who have finished their first year of study.
Accordingly, I must report together with the other eleven in January 2015 to join 2nd year with my classmates. It means also that I will be entitled to arrears of all my stipend plus the ten million shillings that was disbursed to the rest. I will also be entitled to accommodation and meals expenses that I have incurred during my void suspension. At least non-discrimination is a key principle of human rights.

There are two faculty staff in the Dep't of Political science who warned me in advance that once I enroll for that programme I must not speak otherwise I would be discontinued before reaching midway. I thought such a thing could not even happen in modern day prisons. I thus applied to prove for myself.

If it is true that once one speaks what is unpalatable to you they face harsh consequences, then the PhD programme violates freedom of expression, freedom of conscience, freedom of thought and freedom of speech. I learnt from you in the early 2000s that a university is supposed to enhance critical thought. Benjamin Disraeli defined a university as a place of liberty, a place of light, a place of learning. I doubt whether one can learn in a situation where their conscience is in captivity.
Diversionary tactics of referring to psychiatrists were debunked by Dr Sylvia Nshemereirwe. But you also well know that in autocratic societies, mental hospitals are abused to effect torture on critics. That is what Germany under Hitler used mental hospitals for and that's what Russia under Stalin did. I doubt whether you know the works of Michelle Foucault.Otherwise, you would know that people who think beyond the average in any society are the ones dragged to mental hospitals. I thought you were smarter than what you have proved me to be.

Exactly, I have always been dragged to mental hospitals because I am critically critical of the social injustice that has beset our society. You personally told me that you admitted me because you found out I was critical. I hope you will not victimise me when I become critical of you.

You must have read our constitution. Kindly revisit article 44 which outlines non-derogable rights. Torture to which I was subjected by Simon Musoke and denial of a right to a fair hearing violates inviolable rights. Since you are a celebrated scholar ranking number nine as a world's public intellectual, you must be aware of that. Kindly, let the golden rule that I have often told you about be your guiding principle.
Sincerely,
Vincent Nuwagaba
+256702843552

No comments:

Post a Comment